Monday 11 March 2013

Romans and Sloths

The weather certainly has taken a turn for the worst. Last week we had a couple of reasonably good Spring like days with blue sky visible, sunshine and no rain or snow. You don't realise how much you crave the sun until it's been covered by clouds for weeks on end.Today we woke to freezing temperatures,strong winds and snow flurries. The dogs were not impressed and couldn't get home fast enough, Custard spending most of the walk doing a sideways crab march to avoid the cold wind blowing on his rear end.
 MIL was really feeling the cold this morning, she was frozen. So,we sat in the kitchen and had hot tea and MIL devoured the last chocolate chip muffin. She told me how she was working her way through her rather large box of Mother's day chocolates at home. I had already cleaned the kitchen before she came, so was busy setting up the laptop, diet cherry cola and notepad for later when all my chores were done.I was keeping an eye on the weather,snow flurries meant I would not be hanging out the two loads of washing now. When MIL left, the wind felt bitter,so I put on several layers before heading out for dog walk 2. Frou and Brin were setting a brisk pace and I found myself pulled in two different directions, by the girls who wanted this walk over as soon as possible and Custard,who wanted to loiter and leave text messages on every tree.Back home, leads off, quick drink and jump into warm beds. I probably won't be seeing anything of the rabble until this afternoon, when walk time looms again.
  The weekend was fantastic. Saturday, I got to spoil Hubby RC, a day of wargaming. Friday I pulled the kitchen table out to it's full extent, moved chairs out the way and RC started to set up his scenery.In the morning I had done a special shop for favourite beers,fresh burgers from the butcher's counter,fresh baps, bacon and swiss cheese. RC had said burgers and chips would be fine for lunch but I wanted to make sure they were really good.They seemed to really enjoy their game, I made them lunch, beers were consumed, battle resumed.Several hours of Romans later, RC's friend departed to do Mother's day shopping and RC carefully packed his soldiers and scenery back in their boxes.He had really enjoyed the game, so I suggested he make it a regular thing.
 RC's birthdays used to be big games that took a whole day with several friends, I used to love cooking for them. A lot of them were divorced or batchelors and appreciated home cooked food, I liked to theme the food according to who was fighting.They had a great wild west game once that just needed tequila, beers and a huge mexican spread. I'm hoping that we can do that again now. It's great when the house is full of people having a good time, I miss it.
 Sunday I was a complete sloth.Comfy lounging outfit, fluffy slippers, no dog walks,tea with MIL and a bacon roll compliments of RC. I only sneaked a couple of bits of housework in when RC wasn't looking and they were to do with washing, to make sure all Ira's uniform was clean and dry for school.Sunday afternoon, I was on the sofa with loads of cushions(a bug bear of RC's), big furry cover,table for laptop and copious amounts of chocolate, cherry cola and dvd box set.I swear I have never been this lazy in all my life (I couldn't even sit still after giving birth). I ate things I really shouldn't of, drank way too much fizzy and my lowest point was letting RC change the disc for me, because he offered and it was all the way across the room.I did make it to the table for pasta, although I must admit, I mentally had to slap myself when a vision of a lap tray appeared in my mind. I did however slink back to my perfect nest after the meal and blocked out the sound of dishes being done that would normally have sent me back to the kitchen feeling guilty.
I don't know how any one can watch television for a long time like that. I was absolutely exhausted, we hardly watch television, I prefer radio. I'm sure I've rotted a few brain cells. I woke up this morning with a sugar hangover,me and chocolate will not be talking for a few weeks, I'm definitely more of a savoury person.My back will take a few days to forgive me for sitting down, doing nothing, for so long. But, I have dreamed of a day like that for so long. Circumstances have never allowed me to totally check out and be looked after like a queen. RC has always tried to give me time like this, but family commitments have always made it an unfair workload for him, that I could not happily let him deal with alone.Our lives have changed so much these last few weeks,it's like being young and hopeful again, with time to devote to each other. Roll on honeymoon!

16 comments:

  1. Wargaming! At first I was like, "What's that?", not separating the words. You're a better person than I am. Spoiling can include many things in my house, but not that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit I have never understood the whole wargaming thing.To me,it has always just been toy soldiers,but some of these wargamers are seriously into the strategy and history of these battles.Finding room for RC's ever expanding collection of armies and scenery hasn't always been easy,but it makes him happy and keeps him out of trouble. As for the sitting room that's slowly filling up with amps and guitars, that's a whole other blog on it's own.......

      Delete
  2. What a great way to spend Mother's Day! It's hard for me to sit around too, especially if others are working, but sometimes it feels so nice to be pampered.
    It's also fun to pamper others! What a nice treat for RC to have you make his gaming day so enjoyable. Sounds like you found it quite enjoyable as well!
    You two are going to make perfect Honeymooners! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole wargaming thing has been RC's hobby since he was a kid. It keeps him young and makes him happy.I think we should have a weekend now and then with an RC devoted day and then one for me. That would be good.

      Delete
  3. ".. leave text messages on every tree" Ha, great imagery, what a wonderful turn of phrase! Aww, all it takes is a lot of practise to turn into a sloth, it certainly took me weeks of dedicated, punishing inactivity to arrive at the lazy slob I am today (it all started with blogging, just hang on in there, you'll see)!

    What a blissfully perfect weekend you've described, sounds as though you've BOTH had a wonderful time, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think RC loved having the kitchen completely under his control,without me coming in and cleaning around him,as he "created" yet another masterpiece.I certainly enjoyed watching the dvds,as since we got rid of sky,we really hardly ever put the television on.Oh,unless of course RC is cooking and just happens to come across the worst disaster movie known to mankind. Then the kitchen set will be on,so that he can explain the plot to every unsupecting victim,who ventures into the kitchen for a drink.Rule of thumb for buying RC a new dvd; take the worst title,add has been actors or complete unknowns, add exaggerated art work or photos and you've got something awful that he will love.I've heard that Status Quo have made an action movie in South America, that is next on my list.

      Delete
    2. The technique clearly works - you have bought me some amazing movies over the years...

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a great weekend! Despite the frigid weather and all - but all the more reason to sloth around! Food themed parties for the guys! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The themed food is fun but I've always wondered what I would do if they played a Star Wars battle or some sort of fantasy space game.

      Delete
  5. It's good that you allowed yourself a lazy day. Everyone needs one of those now and then. It's a great way to get motivated and get back into a routine that has begun to feel like drudgery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough the lazy day did motivate me. I have just got my exercise machine thingy out of the bike cupboard. I want to finish my dvd box set but cannot just sit and watch tv, so I am making a rule that I have to be on the gazelle in order to watch it.

      Delete
  6. We should start a support group - our "guest" room threatens to be taken over by musical instruments and gear, and/or remote-controlled planes and other boyish hobbies, at any given time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you let them store something in there, they just keep adding to it. I have a shed that I procured (that's a whole blog story there) and at present it is full to the brim. I have looked in the boxes that keep piling up and it all seems to be stuff that no one wants in their bedrooms but do not want me to get rid of. I want my shed back!

      Delete
  7. Great way to spend a weekend. Especially with that Romantic RC to take pamper/spoil you. You definitely earned the time to relax.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Romantic RC title seems to be doing wonders for him.I'll be expecting flowers at this rate(hint, hint). I'm afraid there won't be much relaxing from now on,as it's that time of year when I throw myself into diet and exercise.Hopefully the weather will improve soon,I am going to map out a route for cycling. I tend to use my bike a lot in the spring and summer for shopping and errands, but I would like to just ride for pleasure this year.

      Delete