Saturday 23 March 2013

It Never Snows but it Blizzards

Life at "Home RC" has carried on crashing from one disaster to the next. I'm starting to think that Hubby RC is a good luck charm because things just seem much crappier without him here. Or maybe I'm just missing him a tad too much. The bike is now fixed but at nearly treble the original price, the wheel had to have extra parts which doubled the cost, then I thought what the hell, throw in a decent new seat the other one was way passed due.
Me and Cicely got to have a lovely couple of hours in Whistable, sat in Costa having a mocha, the most relaxation I've had all week. I picked up the bike on the way back and felt that I might just pull the weeks chores off in time, until I saw the flood in the kitchen on my return. The boiler has packed up again, so had to call out the engineer, who cannot fix it til Monday.He left us with 3 tiny fan heaters to keep a whole house warm for the three days.
Once the kitchen was tidied after his visit, Cicely told me her laptop disk drive has also ceased to work. I do not have my own laptop at present, I have been borrowing RC's, and lately Ira's, I had hoped to pick up a net book for myself as my computer use is quite limited. I can see the chances of getting a netbook floating away now as I will have to address the cost of repair of Cicely's against the cost of getting her a new laptop. I could use her old one as I do not need the disk drive, she needs a good one for college.
  Later when dogs were walked and I had managed to warm up the kitchen, I sat down to look at the computer, Cicely was going to show me how to set up a twitter account, but I thought I would browse facebook while I waited for her. I saw that I had a private message from my little brother. I haven't heard from him for a week since he asked me why I had not friended his wife on facebook. I had told him that she had upset me with comments she had made about the care we had given our daughter before she died. The message was a tirade about what a wonderful kind woman his wife is, how what she said would never have been said intentionally to hurt us. How can telling newly grieving parents parents they should have done better and the result would have been different, not be intentionally hurtful? Apparently mentioning my mum in this makes me a low person and he is angry about the way I have dealt with it. I cried over this for a long time. My reasons for not telling him what was said was to prevent a family row and not make a rift in their marriage that was rocky at the time. He was aware of his wife's views when she had aired them with my mum, but did not know that she had also decided she needed to air them with me.He told me he couldn't believe I would hold a grudge for so long and didn't know why I needed to bring it up.
 I have answered him. I know he has read it. I told him that however the comments were intended, they had hurt and still do and how inappropriate the timing of those comments were. I have also told him that I am pissed that keeping it to myself has put me in the wrong, that I couldn't feel the same about his wife knowing she had judged us in that way, and that HE was the one who asked me if his wife had upset me in any way. She got him to ask me, because she thought I wouldn't tell him and would be embarrassed into accepting her request.Why else would she not have messaged me herself, if she was truly wondering? Because, she already had a clue as to why I did not answer her request.He asked me for the reason. I gave an honest answer and felt better for it. I don't know what else I was supposed to say. If he doesn't want to speak to me anymore I suppose I just have to accept it. Families seem to thrive on blame, but I do not want to hurt any more. Every time I feel we move forward with trying to live without Sophie, something always drags us back to the fresh pain of those early days.I hate it when somebody wrongs you and yet they try to make it all your fault.
  I woke up this morning feeling that life couldn't get much worse. Then I realised how cold the house was and remembered the broken boiler. I opened the curtains to a world of white, a blizzard of snow and thought of Arthur trying to get home from Uni today in this weather. But tonight I am hoping he will be here and we can skype RC in Malta and be our happy little family and forget about everything else.

10 comments:

  1. I think every family has a person such as your brother. They do wrong to other family members (or in your brother's case, allow their spouse to do so) and then expect everyone to just pretend it didn't happen. They turn things around in their minds until they must believe that THEY weren't the one in the wrong and then they proceed to make everyone else feel at fault. What your sister-in-law did to you was ENORMOUSLY hurtful. You are not being petty by keeping your distance from her. You owe her nothing. Deep down, your brother knows that his wife did something unforgivable to you. As long as she is not sorry, not willing to admit how hideously wrong she was, (and maybe even if she did) you have no obligation to forgive her and let her back into your life.

    So sorry that things seem to be falling apart in RC's absence. Hope things are back in order again soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have my boy home from uni now so I am going to concentrate on that.RC has set up skype from Malta so we can chat and it is only a few more days. These things happen in families, I'm just glad they live so far away.

      Delete
  2. Wow. Bike problems, internet cable, computer woes, toss in a busted boiler with freezing temps. Its seems like you've picked up more than your ration of bad luck lately. Strange how all this happens when RC is off in Malta. I hope that you can survive the cold weekend and get things righted quickly.

    And I am just stunned by your brother's response. You were wronged/hurt. I don't care if "she meant well", what your SIL said was judgmental, insensitive and inexcusably hurtful. To make those comments, much less even think them, to grieving parents is, in my mind, beyond the pale. Those words cut deep and I don't blame your feelings/response. I admire how you handled it. You held your tongue, took the high road and did not respond. I cannot say I would have been as mature as you given the situation. Your brother asked for an answer and you gave very rationale, passionate response. And for him to come back and defend her and blame YOU for your reaction to her stupid comments, to me, that is unforgivable. It seams to me that, if she truly wanted to bridge the gap, she should be the one to admit she was wrong and apologize. Twice now, you have answered his queries, you spoke your peace, you have nothing to apologize for. I am sorry that this has reopened a raw nerve. I would say that the ball is in their court to make amends, but given their response so far, I would not have high expectations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think there will be any bridge building in the near future. I am so tired of all the bad family stuff. I just want a normal,happy,quiet stretch of time. I've started to feel that every time I begin to look forward and try to pull myself up out of the problems of the last few years, I somehow jinx it and set something in motion to drag me back down. I'm fed up with being reasonable, understanding, downtrodden. I would just like some breathing space between each crisis to grab a bit of normality that other people take for granted.I think I've lost my brother for now but I am not going to feel bad for telling him the truth.

      Delete
  3. I'm here from Rock Chef, and I also see you at Snowbrush. I had the same situation with a family member of my husband's. They attacked and attacked, enjoying the fracas while I worried myself sick. Then they hacked into my 13 year old blog where I stupidly had stored years and years of photos, thinking they'd always be there.

    Then add physical and household problems....why do we allow little people to torment us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have questioned my whole approach to dealing with people lately. I am exhausted with dealing with stuff like this year after year as if life hasn't kicked us enough. I want to be a good person, think of others feelings, do the right thing but it always ends up bad.When it is just RC, me and the kids we are so happy, life can be good. As soon as family gets involved everything changes, they seem to thrive on conflict and blame, the emotional chains that tie us together are weighing me down. My little brother was the one I was closest to and I never thought that we would fall out like this, but I have to face the fact that he is probably not going to talk to me for a long while.I've cried too much over this. Life just sucks so much right now.

      Delete
  4. I don't even know what to say. I'm sure he's putting the blame on you since it's probably easier on him to think you are wrong, than for him to think that his wife wronged you. You're doing the right thing by just letting it go. You're very lucky to have an incredible immediate family - and they absolutely adore you. THOSE are the people you should spend your time thinking about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's just been a really tough week. Usually RC is here to talk to, but as he is away at the moment, I think I've found it that much harder.I've still not heard back from my brother and probably won't for a long time.

      Delete
  5. Wow, so sorry, that all really sucks. I hope you know that these people are so far out of line. How could you ever forgive something like that? How could either of them think it was OK? Hugs to you. I have a couple if family members who do and say outrageous things - hurtful things - and always blame the person they hurt. I refuse to see them at this point and I am much happier for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you have the right approach, avoiding relatives who cause you problems. Family is so difficult, so many emotional ties. I hate how upsetting it all is and that it can hurt so much.

      Delete