Friday 15 March 2013

A Friend In Need

 When I was growing up the adults would talk in hushed tones,about people in the family who had done something shameful or had fallen out with other members of the family. Every family had someone who was not on talking terms with someone else. Usually it would be something that was said many years ago,that had been too hard to forgive and so had festered causing embarrassment and bad feelings at family gatherings.
 I have a younger brother, he struggled with the idea of monogomy for several years. My mum learnt early on to never address girls on the phone by their first name, just in case Casey had become Lacey but Casey didn't know that yet. He had a marriage that was turbulent, they lost a baby and it ended badly. Then he met a woman who changed that. She already had a young child,was pregnant with another but the father didn't want it, so she needed somewhere to stay. She shared the house with my brother as friends at first, then later they got together, they married and eventually had a child of their own. This woman was different from his previous relationships. She was intelligent, good with money(he is not), seemed to tame my brother making him responsible. I liked her, she was kind, genuinely cared for my brother.
 Over the years we had family gatherings, our children played together. They moved away, but we would see them from time to time, catch up. Then our eldest daughter died, part of helping our kids to carry on ,was taking them to visit their grandparents. We stayed with my parents, did the zoo, swam, played tennis. One day my mum pulled me aside to warn me about something odd that had happened on their last visit to my little brother's. We were due to stay with them for a few days so she thought I should know.My sister in law had gone into a long tirade about how we had not looked after my daughter properly,should have done more to save her. My mum had been shocked, hurt and told her that under no circumstances was she to repeat what she had said when we visited. I was confused, I couldn't imagine her being so cruel, about us and to my mum too, when she had just lost her first grandchild.
 No more was said, my brother picked us up and took us on the drive to his house. When we arrived my brother was embarrassed, nothing had been prepared for our visit. The house was messy, there was no beds made up for us,no grocery shopping had been done. When his wife came home they rowed like we weren't even there, she didn't want us there. We were stranded hundreds of miles from home and not welcome. The next couple of days were some of the worst I ever went through. My daughter had only been dead a few weeks, we needed support, stability. We tried one day out to a farm,we had to take two cars, I got to share with my sister in law. I spent two hours being subjected to how I hadn't done enough for my daughter, how if it were her daughter she would still be alive, how we were not welcome in her house,how they couldn't afford to feed us all and now she had to drive us all to a day out she didn't want to go on.When we reached the farm I took my husband aside and told him that we were to pay our own way even if my brother wanted to treat us, I would explain later.
 I was so glad to leave that house. We visited my other brother and his wife, they were kind, good to the kids. We went back to my parents house and I told my mum what had been said. I was angry and upset.She told me not to tell my brother what had been said in the car. Their relationship was in trouble and it might tip it over the edge. So I said nothing,but I hated her for what she had said and for when she had said it to me.
Time went on, I didn't have much contact with them, if a family event came up, I just bit my tongue. My dad would read me the riot act about not starting an argument, but it was uncomfortable. Over time I learned to be polite, they lived so far away I didn't have to deal with it. Then I lost my mum, followed by dad and contact between my brother and I was sporadic at best.
 A few months ago, I joined facebook, to keep in touch with family and loved that my little brother and I could laugh and share stuff like we did years ago. My sister in law sent me a friend request, I ignored it, a few months went by. Today, I got a private message from my brother asking me why I had ignored her request, had she upset me in some way? I had to sit and think long and hard about my answer. Should I forgive and forget, call her a friend again? I can't forget,I don't know if I will ever forgive and any friendship we had should have prevented her from saying the things she did.Nearly eight years have gone by since this happened, even though I knew that a day would come when I would have to deal with it, I was shocked at how bad it still hurt and how angry I still felt.I decided to be truthful with my brother without going into details.
"I knew one day you would ask me this.Several years ago Jackie said some things about the way we dealt with Sophie's illness which we and mum found very upsetting.I wanted to have it out with her,but mum asked me to leave it, so I did. If there is a lack of sisterly love on my part this is why. Sorry."
I haven't heard back from my brother, but I am relieved to have got it off my chest. I felt annoyed that something that had caused me a lot of grief over many years, had not even occurred to her, as a reason why I would not want to be her "friend". 

8 comments:

  1. It's hard to believe that some people can be so cruel, and not realize their words are so hurtful! I'm with you. I would have a very difficult time forgiving and forgetting what was said. I'm happy that you've been able to connect with your brother without having to involve your SIL. Hopefully getting the story off your chest won't cause him to back off. Either way, it's best not to surround yourself with people who make you feel bad. Life is too short - as you well know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would hate to lose my brother over this and hope that he of all people will understand that I can't forgive, having lost a baby himself.

      Delete
  2. It is truly unbelievable how some people can be so unsympathetic when dealing with family tragedy. People can be so judgmental or spiteful with other members of the family like they know better. I am amazed how well you took her criticism without taking her head off. What she did/said was totally off base and insensitive to your pain and loss. You two have been terrific parents to you kids and to have her judge your actions is inexcusable. I agree with Shadowrun, it is good to have that off your chest and let your brother know of your feelings. I am sorry that it has driven a wedge between you and your brother, but that was not something easily forgotten or even forgiven. You were absolutely right in rejecting her friend request and she was way past stupid for even making the request.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having someone pass judgement on your actions when they were not there to see the whole story is bad enough.They didn't come near all through Sophie's illness or even pick up the phone.I hate conflict in families, there are so many repercussions for what you say or do. If I had bitten back at that time I know that their fragile marriage would not have survived. There were three children to think of. I still don't know how I misjudged her. She was so nice up to that time.If this causes trouble between my brother and myself,I guess I should be grateful that my parents wont be here to be hurt by it.

      Delete
  3. Wow, I don't have enough words to express how horrid that is. I can't believe you were able to keep it to yourself this whole time - you are a better person than me. Should you forget? Could you forget? This person is vile. I can't believe anyone would be so sub-human. I am so sorry you went through that, and so soon after such a huge loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life is never the way you imagine it to be.When I watch a film or programme that depicts the loss of a child, the hardest part to watch is the love and support the couple receive from friends and family.The truth is that people are more likely to be scared to talk to you, unable to deal with your grief, so they convince themselves that you want time to yourself and wont want to talk about it. So they stay away, avoid you, then embarrassed by the length of time they have not been there for you, they pretend nothing has happened because they want the awkward bit over or they cut you off completely. I kind of understood some of this when Sophie died, I didn't know how to ask for help, I never had.But the fact that someone thought that maybe you had not done all that was physically and mentally possible to save your child, that hurt on a level I could barely comprehend.I kept this from my brother for the sake of their marriage and for my parents, but when that message appeared yesterday I realised I could let it go. My parents can no longer be hurt by it, and I will not cover or lie for a person like that.

      Delete
  4. I just don't understand how people can be so unable to put themselves in another's shoes and see another side of a story. I fully believe your sister in law could do and say such hurtful things to you. I have relatives who have done similar things to the people they are supposed to love. I don't understand how someone can be so cruel, but I know how frequently it happens. I so incredibly sorry that you had to endure such hurtful treatment, especially during a time when you so needed love and support. I'm glad you got your chance to be honest and get things off your chest. Those who behave so hatefully should not be allowed to get away with it in the interest of "family harmony." But too often, they do. I love it when someone can put one of these people in their place. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now it's out in the open it makes me feel better.I no longer will have to endure pretending nothing has happened. It might make things awkward, my brother still hasn't replied to my message. But I finally feel that I want my life to progress forward and not be locked up in the hurt of the past.

      Delete