Thursday 7 March 2013

I Wish I'd Looked After My Teeth

When we took on Hubby RC's Uncle's dog, we knew she was old and had not been to a vet regularly. She had lived in a house with two heavy smokers,hardly ever had fresh bedding and due to confusion had not been fed the right amount she had required. She was quite a sad old girl and we thought we would take her home, clean her up,give her a lovely new bed next to the radiator and let her live out her last days well fed and well loved. However, once bathed,brushed and fed she changed. She was more alert, she didn't smell as much and revelled in the squishy softness of her new bed.
  Over the last couple of weeks we noticed that she had started to smell a bit again. She was eating ok, seemed really well but I was concerned so decided to take her to the vet for a check up. Frou was due to have her yearly check and immunisations, so I booked a double appointment for Thursday morning.. Hubby RC took Custard, our labrador for his long walk before he set off for work, so that I could take the two girls for a long walk to the vets in town. Everything was fine on the way down, Frou was quiet in the waiting room,but kept a suspicious eye on the crated cats that were pulling faces at her from their owners' laps. Frou went first and was given a clean bill of health, not even squeaking when she got the needle. Then it was Bryn's turn.
 As soon as Kirsty, our vet was down at eye level with her she could smell her. She gave her a good examination. Bryn had an abcess at the back of her mouth. Kirsty believed it had been there for several months and had just recently burst, hence the smell.Unusually her face had shown no sign of swelling,she had shown no sign of any discomfort when eating, so it had remained undiscovered for some time. When FIL had looked after Bryn, he had become convinced that she could only have soft food and would not allow chewies and hard biscuits, so the food had caked around her teeth causing plaque and decay. A couple of years before she had had to have several teeth removed and he had continued on with the soft food believing that was the right thing to do.So now poor Bryn had to have antibiotics and face another operation on Monday.
 The pills that we were given were what my nan would have called"horse pills",great big enormous things. Twice a day, with or without food, just as long as she takes them, they said. There was a big packet of ham in the fridge at home that I could see coming in handy in my scheme to dupe her into taking them.(I have never been able to do the shove the pill in the back of the throat and hold their mouth shut thing.)My cunning scheme worked,two days in Bryn stopped being smelly,just in time for the wake and didn't seem to question why a whole packet of ham was being generously portioned out to her twice a day.
 Monday,I took her down to the vets early. I felt slightly nervous as general anaesthetic in older dogs can be risky, but this needed to be done for her health. I was told to ring at half past three.Back home, Frou, who never passes up an oppurtunity had taken over Bryn's large bed, assuming I had lost Bryn on a walk. I didn't get to collect Bryn until half past five and assumed she would be groggy and need to come home on the bus. As soon as the rather substantial bill was settled, she proceeded to drag me all the way home, putting as much distance between her and the tooth fairies as possible. They had taken out another five. I did quip to the nurse as I was settling the bill,when she told me how many,"Did you leave her any?"I thought she was only having one out. She did remarkably well to cover that distance after her operation. There was only one moment when she stopped to squat for the toilet that I thought she looked a bit wobbly and might keel over face first in the dirt, but she shook it off and raced for home.
 Today is Thursday and I was again back at the vets for Bryn's first check up since her operation. After three days of soft food, anti-inflammatories and antibiotics, she is once again deemed in perfect health. Hard food can slowly be reintroduced as she has healed so well. Chewies and biscuits a must.We walked home in the pouring rain and this time it was me who wanted a bus, but Bryn was enjoying her walk, so I endured another drenching and headed home where there was a cup of tea with my name on it.

10 comments:

  1. Poor old puppy dog! Must be horrid to get all those teeth out, but she seems to be doing well. Your'e so good to give her a new home and make her last years comfy. I have no dogs or cats now, after many years of having assorted family pets. YoungerSon and family have a Golden Doodle, and OlderSon and family have 2 cats.... and I get roped in to tend to them all when the humans go walkabout. I don't mind.... as long as the humans come back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's doing really well. Snoring her head off at the moment.We have never had anyone look after our dogs before, but this summer we are trusting our kids to walk them while we go away for the first time.It's five months before we go and already I've started priming them to make sure they get it done just the way the dogs like it.Pets are a tie, especially when you still want a holiday. When we got Custard our lab,we told the children the only holidays we would have would be ones where the dog could come too and we have stuck to that. I feel a bit of a hypocrite now asking them to look after the dogs while we go swanning off. But I'm sure in due course they will have kids,cats and dogs that will all need sitting whilst they go somewhere.

      Delete
  2. Ha, I thought you were about to launch into the old Pam Ayres poem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I considered editing it to apply to Bryn but got carried away blogging and forgot the idea until you just reminded me.

      Delete
  3. Poor Bryn! Having to endure all that scariness and pain. At least she got some ham afterwards.
    Our dog, Chancie, has been taking medication for a tooth infection and for arthritis. We trick her too, by wrapping it in a bit of food. So much easier than shoving it down her throat.
    I'm glad you too are not letting your furry kids keep you from Honeymooning. They'll be well taken care of by your unfurry kids. From what I can see, they're very responsible and have been raised quite well. 5 months? It'll go by so quickly! Hope you'll be sharing your plans! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our eldest son has been living away from home for a few months now and I guess I've realised he is a grown up.They are ready to show us how responsible they are. My daughter is at college doing animal management, so it's a daily task for her to handle all sorts of animals,walking, feeding and observing them for any illnesses.We couldn't get a better dog and rabbit sitter,as she also adores them all.
      Planning this trip will include a lot of blogging about it I am sure. I am so excited.

      Delete
  4. I feel so sorry for poor Bryn. Going through that kind of pain and surgery at that age is hard but I am glad she recovered quickly and is back home getting pampered. My older dog, Claire, had a hard life before us and her teeth were in poor shape when we got her. I had her teeth cleaned last year at the vet and they had to pull two. Losing the teeth did not seem to affect her appetite, but the anesthesia really did a number on her. It took almost two days for her to shake it off after the procedure and get back to normal. The vet said it was because of her age and weight that affected her more than Grayson. I felt really bad for her and wasn't sure I wanted to do put her through that again. Glad to know that Bryn has found a great home where you guys are looking after her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The anesthetic worried me more than anything, but there was really no alternative as she had quite a deep seated infection. I'm hoping now that she is getting the right food,this will be the last time she has any dental treatment.She has surprised me with just how well she has recovered.We are very lucky, as apart from Custard having hip problems,our other dogs have no health issues.

      Delete
  5. Poor Bryn. She's been through a lot! I hope she's able to get back to solid food with all those teeth missing.

    Our Lucy has had her share of surgeries in the past year too - for hip dysplasia. We found some dog treats called Pill Pockets and we just had to slip her pills inside them. She loves treats so much, she never stopped to chew long enough to know we were slipping her some meds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not heard of those treats. What a great idea. When I have to worm Custard,I chop sausages into chunks.When they have cooled, I then insert pills and he wolfs them down so fast he never realises he has been duped.
      Bryn is doing so well now.She has had a biscuit or two with no problems. I got her some food from the pet shop that I am mixing in with some dry food tonight to see what she can manage.They are soft and chewy meaty chunks that she can pick out if the biscuit is too hard for her.

      Delete