Thursday 21 March 2013

Archbishops and Passports

This week has been a mad rush in preparation for Hubby RC's annual trip to Malta. Dusting off his trusty suitcase, locating his sunhat, passport, medical card, suncream and generally organizing his wardrobe is my department. RC is incredibly laid back and although I know he is capable of getting stuff done eventually, I like to fastidiously plan and pack. By Tuesday he had his Euros, had bought new training shoes and was sorting paints, brushes and soldiers just in case there was time for some painting. I had located and ironed all his clothes, making sure to include him as it was packed,to avoid any awkward moments if he was asked if he packed the case himself. The only item eluding me were his sunglasses. Now it seems like such a long time since we have had sunshine, I know I have seen them somewhere. So much stuff has been moved around lately in my spring clean that I cannot think where I saw them last. I had to admit defeat, but know that it will bug me until I find them.
  The weekend had turned out quite busy. Saturday RC had tried to get his bike repaired as it needs a new back wheel. The shop didn't have one in stock, so RC asked me to take it back down on Wednesday when they should have one in. He went shopping and then stacked hay up the pony field for his mum. Sunday RC was completely zonked and took to his bed for most of the day, I did all the usual cooking, cleaning, dog walks but also had to contend with the antisocial rabbits. At weekends I like to strip out their runs and houses and freshen them up with fresh hay and sawdust, they don't take kindly to this, often attacking the broom or my boots.
 While all was quiet Sunday afternoon I went to see a friend to ask her to sign my passport application. I have been so nervous filling in this form,as I have never held a passport before and do not want to hold the process up by filling in anything in the wrong way. I had gone down to the train station Friday morning to get the photos done, they were horrible, I looked like a criminal.RC is desperate to book our honeymoon, but we have been told to wait,until I have definitely got the passport. Forms completed,armed with every bit of documentation I could find,I headed to the post office Monday morning and paid the person at the counter to go through the form and check all my documents before they were sent, in order to cut down on any mistakes. I now have to wait about six weeks to find out if they will just give it to me or if I will get called in to do an identification interview. Apparently middle aged people getting their first passports are extremely suspicious.
 Well wednesday finally came at 5.30 in the morning and I had to say goodbye to RC for a whole week. He had a terrible cold which made me worry all the more. "I feel fine", he kept on saying in a croaky voice. Well, I told him, he better hope they didn't decide to scan for temperatures as he would be coming home. He went off happy enough and from the texts and blogs I have read got better real quick with double breakfasts and his favourite cake shops.
 Back home ,the things that go wrong as soon as dad is away, began in earnest. First, after rushing the dog walk to get RC's bike to the shop to be fixed, the part had not come in. The shop is shut on Thursday, so fingers crossed they will fix it Friday. Youngest son Ira managed to shred an ethernet cable he uses for his desk top computer, I fitted a spare through the house, still not working properly, ordered a new one and Cicely slept through the delivery, so no cable. The post office wanted me to take a two hour bus ride to collect it, but I went online and found I could request a free redelivery as long as someone answers the door this time.The only day they can deliver is Saturday and Arthur comes home from uni then. I have to meet him at the station,so am hoping it is delivered before then. I have been preparing for his visit all week.
 This morning(Thursday) I had planned to go to Canterbury to get last minute things whilst the bike shop is shut. I was already awake listening to the radio at 6am, as RC had texted me at 5am, to tell me he had just woken up. I think it is 7am there.They were telling people not to go into Canterbury today unless they had to. The new Archbishop was being enthroned, Prince Charles, David Cameron and all the bishops from around the world were congregating there today. Oh great, the one day I need to go. I bit the bullet and once dogs and kids were sorted,grabbed the bus. The empty bus, all the way to Canterbury! There were lots of people in the city centre,all dressed as if they were going to a wedding, police everywhere and lots of noise down near the Cathedral. But I didn't have to queue in a shop or for a bus. In fact there were four of us on the bus home. Great. I'm glad I ignored their advice, as everyone else had heeded it, there was little traffic on the way back.
 Now I just need to juggle Friday chores a bit to fit in all the things I need to do. Cicely needs me to come with her for a couple of hours to Whitstable, dog walks, blitz bathroom, get Arthur's bed ready, get shopping, collect bike(god willing), do ironing,start to make RC's secret Easter present................

6 comments:

  1. Wow! You sure have a lot on your plate! RC's eating double breakfasts and you sound like you barely have time for one! :)
    Sure hope the bike gets fixed and the cable delivered so that you can enjoy some time with Arthur. Will he be home for a while?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've barely sat down to a meal since RC left and have already lost three pounds. The bike has been fixed and I even asked them to put a new seat on it as it was a bit worn out. Arthur should be home tomorrow(saturday) and stay for about three weeks. Me and Cicely had a couple of hours out together in Whitstable looking at all the quirky little shops. Just waiting on the cable delivery. Tomorrow is a day to cook Arthur's favourite home made meals that he has missed so much. I can't wait for him to get home.

      Delete
  2. Quite a sizable task list. I can see how you keep the ship upright. I hope everything is squared soon and things can slow down for you. Nice trip to Canterbury, despite the crowds/hoopla.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't suppose you can tell us what the secret present is, since he reads your blog? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. RC gets an Easter present? Lucky guy!

    Wow, that is a lot to do! You must sleep like a baby at night after all the activity that fills your days.

    I've never had a passport either. I suppose I should work on getting one in case we ever decide to go far enough from home to require one.

    ReplyDelete