Friday 1 March 2013

Funerals and Birthdays

The day started at six, feeling groggy from a nasty cold that wanted me to go back to bed, I forced myself up. First I had to wake youngest son,who wanted to get some last minute revision in,for his biology exam today. Next the dogs needed their early morning scoot around the block for a wee. Coffee for son,who appeared to be auditioning for The Walking Dead. First rounds of chicken, sausage rolls and chipolatas into the oven. Hubby RC set about grating cheese and thinly slicing tomatoes and cucumber. A lovely card from RC with Boofle the knitted dog on, a favourite of mine. Chocolate and a gorgeous little lidded Le Creuset soup bowl.
 Then onto frying till crisp,tiny pieces of bacon,that will be added to cream cheese  and chives to make a filling for the tiny tortilla wraps. BIL cannot eat bread. Prawns,lettuce and sauce, then southern spiced chicken with mayonnaise and finely shredded lettuce. I'm sure he will be pleased. Youngest son gurgles something unintelligible, last bit birthday and thrusts envelope into my hand. Lovely card with "mum" and elephants playing peek a boo round the letters. Inside card, beautiful silver elephant earrings that I will wear today at FIL's funeral.
 I am a bit of a perfectionist, so when RC says the sandwiches wont fit on the trays as I wanted them too, I tell him it's because I cut the crusts to make them symmetrical. He looks dispondent at the thought of the extra work involved,but my OCD is telling me this is necessary, so I take to doing sandwiches and he switches to wraps.Soon the fridge is overloaded with trays that are garnished and looking pretty.Best china is washed and placed on the table with serviettes. My daughter emerges in her pyjamas and I set her to work putting my china cake stand together. Once carrot and cucumber sticks have been arranged around the houmous in a pretty blue and white china dish, there is time to have a coffee, while I wait for the garlic bread to cook. Youngest daughter is itching to give me her presents. First is the shampoo that I have been searching for, for ages. "Just a silly present". she says. The next is a rather nice sized box wrapped in pink polka dots. I open the top and peak inside. I'm overwhelmed by her thoughtfulness and generosity and burst into tears. You see for many years when things were really hard for us I coveted a beautiful red kettle that I imagined would sit perfectly on my range. But this thing of beauty was beyond my financial means, years later and out of debt with savings, I still could not feel comfortable spending such a large amount on something we didn't exactly need. I often would check when there was a sale, but it still bothered me how much it was. My daughter knowing that I would never treat myself, had taken it upon herself and just bought it. It may sound very sad to think an item like this would bring such pleasure and some people may have preferred jewellery or perfume. But to me it is a dream come true. It has pride of place in my kitchen and it will make dealing with FIL's funeral today so much easier, thinking how thoughtful it was.
  Today was a happy and a sad day all rolled into one. MIL who has been stoic since FIL passed,was overcome at the sight of his coffin. We sat in the chapel and I cuddled her up tight. I was so worried, as she seemed so broken. But then RC stepped up to do his eulogy and as he read MIL smiled and nodded, people laughed, the feeling in the chapel lifted. I was so proud of RC, his speech encompassed all aspects of his father's life and his long battle with mental illness, with love and kindness. Anecdotes from childhood were shared and brought laughter. By the time he was finished MIL was uplifted and renewed. I felt as though we could draw a line under those difficult years, say goodbye with a good feeling about him and move on. Thankyou RC. 
  There were rather a lot of people who made their way to the wake. I must have made a hundred cups of tea. BIL insisted on giving me lessons in how to make his cup of coffee just how he liked it. I spent all my time in the kitchen, making tea, a captive audience for Great Uncle Frank, who likes to be near the food. My daughter and aunt in law helped me wash and dry cups and plates to keep the table stocked. All in all a very successful day. BIL2 spoke to me in a civil manner, at least that seems a bit better, but Custard, our lab still growled at him at every opportunity. I'm afraid SIL still blatently snubbed me quite rudely,at the graveside. But what the hell, do I care? No the woman's a kook. Sorry slip of temper. It obviously still gets up my nose. So I stayed in the kitchen with Uncle Frank and pretended he hadn't told me all this at Christmas.Later SIL left after hugging RC and being oh so sweet. But it just slipped her mind to say goodbye. This is getting cynical and I'm trying not to go down that road.
  So now I am back to my birthday and having white wine, lemonade and orange juice all mixed up together in a big glass.Tying to fight off the lurgy,which is trying to take over and rob me of the last few hours left of my birthday.Goodnight everyone, I'm going to get another drink.

12 comments:

  1. First of all, Happy Birthday! And what wonderful gifts you've received from your children. I'm guessing there's more to the Elephant than we know... hopefully you'll share the significance sometime. And the red tea pot story had me in tears too! You have a wonderful family, despite the kooks.
    Enjoy the rest of your evening. I understand you'll be able to celebrate your birthday tomorrow as well - so rest up and fight the lurgy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying hard not to let the lurgy win and RC is doing his best to celebrate for me.He's got his gorgeous,sloppy grin on his face which means he is very drunk.Hopefully tomorrow I will feel better and we will get out. I intend to spend some time in the afternoon on the sofa, watching a dvd that eldest son sent me.

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday! Sounds like a good day.. all things considered! And sweet gifts from your kids. And your oldest son at uni skypes you nearly every day?! I'm happy to get a once-a-weeker from our oldest. Enjoy tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Skype has proved to be a Godsend. Sometimes we have it on and we aren't even talking. He dips in and out of conversations as he does his course work and while I cook. It's like he is still here. It has helped me so much, I don't feel anxious at all about how far away he is (I'm such a clingy mum). But this includes me in his new life and it helps him not get homesick as he is privy to everything going on. The hardest part for him yesterday was hearing me beating the cake mix and preparing the buffet. He said it was driving him crazy cos he misses my cooking so much.

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday! I'm so glad you get another day or so to celebrate. You worked much too hard on your special day.

    Your daughter sure knows how to buy a gift from the heart!

    I have kooky relatives too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This kooky relative is a thorn in my side. I have never knowingly offended her but she never took to me.I have been scowled at, growled at, shouted at and ignored by her. I still don't understand why. I guess I never will.She praised RC on his eulogy at the graveside and totally snubbed me.Later at our house she hugged and thanked him for the wake,which shocked everyone. She is not a hugger.I was not acknowledged.But I don't care because I am loved by the rest of the family and I have a shiny red kettle.

      Delete
  4. Happy birthday! And apologies, I signed up to follow your blog and was thinking you just hadn't posted, but the "follow" hadn't taken. Sorry about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found me eventually.I have been blogging practically every day. I have evidently got a lot to get of my chest. I hope you enjoy following my blog as much as I have enjoyed sharing it.

      Delete
  5. Ah, who cares about the odd insufferable, idiot relative, when you have a daughter who comes bearing bright red, shiny kettles, eh? Goodness, you deserve to put your feet up for a bit, I feel quite exhausted just reading about the day, and it's not just the physical side, is it? It's so mentally taxing looking after everyone. I arranged both my mother and my father's funerals, draining to say the least (hugs). Terrible timing this should fall on your birthday, but I'm happy to know you have the weekend to celebrate it more fittingly. Enjoy, it's well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today has been lovely,RC took the dogs out,then I sat and talked to him as he went back and forth loading the machine and hanging the washing.Then he took us all out for a meal(so no washing up for me).Back home now sitting in the kitchen drinking coffee. The dogs need another walk soon,so will have to work this meal off.

      Delete
  6. Happy Belated Birthday! I imagine it was a bit of a downer to have the funeral share the same day, but life is full of ups and downs. I love the gift your daughter gave to you - thoughtful and full of love. Those are the gifts that we remember long after the candles are put away.

    I ready RC's eulogy and found it amazing as well. He found the words to accentuate the positives in FIL's life and share some really good memories with everyone. It is too bad that your SIL had to be such a twit at a time like that but you are right to put it all behind you. She's not worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the reading of the eulogy will be the enduring memory that I will keep of the funeral.I have often heard people talk about being uplifted by a speech or someone's words,but had never witnessed it first hand.It was a very moving accolade.I have had many reasons over the years to be proud of RC,but this was one of his finer moments.

      Delete