Friday 22 February 2013

Warm Toes and Frozen Fingers

Today we woke to the weather man on the radio telling us that it would be bitterly cold with snow flurries. At six in the morning, this is no way to encourage the national work force to get out of bed and face the day. He should have lied, told us it would be hot and sunny, so that when seven o'clock did roll around it didn't  find us still snuggled up under the covers.
 The first dog walk wasn't too bad. I had my furry boots on, a couple of extra layers and just the odd flake was coming down. By the time hubby RC had left for work, MIL had stopped in for tea and sympathy it was time for dog walk no.2. This is an hour long and required even more layers. My trusty boots kept my toes snug and if I marched along at a clip my legs were staying quite warm. However, my hands were absolutely frozen, three leads make it impossible to wear gloves and I lost sensation in my right hand and my fingers were going purple. We all rushed back down the road and back home into the warmth. The pain in my hands was horrible as they started to thaw out.
 Dinnertime rolled around and I was snug and warm with my cup of coffee watching the flakes drift by the window. My daughter was going to MIL's to walk her dog today, but she seemed a bit reluctant to head out. In a moment of  madness, I told her to stay in the warm, I would go and do Spot. So I got my bike out and headed off to MIL's. The wind was bitter on my face. I took Spot out for another 35minutes and then took him home. MIL made me a cup of tea, which I used for warmth, as MIL doesn't feel the cold, rarely has the heating on due to being hardened by several years living in the Highlands of Scotland. I was starting to wonder if it was colder inside or out. So tea consumed it was time to brave the snow and set off for the ride home. Halfway back I realised my hands were really painful again, had to dismount and take turns with one hand in my pocket while I pushed the bike with the other hand until the feeling came back and I could continue riding. My daughter did have a nice hot cup of coffee waiting for me when I got in, gradually I thawed out.
 So it was it some trepidation an hour and half later I stood looking out the window at the snow whilst putting on my boots again. Another hour of frozen hands beckoned and once more into the breach I went. I never thought that picking up dog poo would make me glad to feel the warmth through the bag, that's how bad it was today. There is one more walk tonight that is usually Hubby RC's. Just a short, round the block, last wee before bed thing. Some nights if RC has had a bath early, I say not to worry ,that I'll do that one as well. Tonight is NOT one of those nights. All the goodwill has been frozen out of me.

10 comments:

  1. I am impressed that you walk the dogs for so long even in freezing temperatures! I have hand warmers laying around here that I've never used and wonder if they work. You "break" the inside part and they keep your hands or feet warm for a few hours. If you can't find those where you live, I guess dog poo is the next best choice! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am big on routine where the animals are concerned. It makes for contented animals. They are walked every single day of the year come wind, rain or shine. I have been cold,wet,windswept and baked but never as cold as I was today. It's an all time low when a bag of poo feels good in your hand I can tell you.

      Delete
  2. Off out with the dogs now. I may be gone some time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. That is some kind of dedication to those furry kids. Walking two dogs is bad enough. I can just image how hard it is with that herd. I hope that you were able to thaw out enough to enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not too bad with three, four was harder. When me and RC were first together we had seven. I would walk all seven while RC was at work until I was eight and a half months pregnant. You just prayed that they didn't see a cat. I think I am fully thawed now and RC is making pizza, so the weekend will be perfect.

      Delete
  4. I am enjoying the blog and getting to know "The Other Side".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you are enjoying our other side. RC is such a laid back, let life flow kind of guy. I worry about everything and maniacally organize everything and hate sitting doing nothing. We work really well.

      Delete
  5. That sounds like miserable dog-walking weather! Hope the weather has warmed up since!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather has warmed a bit but is now dull and rainy. I can't wait for the sun and taking the dogs to the beach.

      Delete