Tuesday 26 February 2013

A Place for Everything and Everything in it's Place.

I like to think I am an organized person There was a time when our whole lives were ruled by schedules and routines. Our eldest child, Sophie had a disability, a form of autism. She was very clever and demanding but her understanding of the world and people around her was chaotic, frightening. Above all other things she needed was to know exactly when, how and where the next part of life would unfold. The unknown was an insurmountable terror. She needed routine in order to function.
 When she was first diagnosed, we were actually relieved that there was something wrong. This sounds odd, but we had put everything into being good parents and were not seeing the same results as other parents,some who were only making a half hearted attempt. Her disability affected her physically, balance, fine motor skills, interpreting signals from her body to the brain. One test that really scared me was, when they asked her to close her eyes,then asked her to point to where on her body the stick had just touched. There was no correlation. She was miles away every time. Her behaviour had always been challenging and she had very little in the way of social skills at first. Pretend play was totally alien to her. She could play in amongst a group of children but couldn't play with them.
 We were told that in order for her to feel secure and develop she had to have routine. So it began. Everything had to be scheduled, even meals. If it was Tuesday then we would be having pasta, so that was one less worry for her etc. Toothbrushing, bathing, bedtime, all with their own little rituals and procedures. Going somewhere new was a nightmare, we had to research every aspect of the building, the trip there and prep her for it in advance not knowing if she would cope. She couldn't tell when she was hungry or full and ate until she was sick a couple of times. Not knowing when she needed the toilet was overcome with routine. This kind of back fired on us as she went according to a routine not by demand so a day out could entail several trips backwards and forwards to the toilet for no reason.
 I taught her to make lists of things we needed for trips so she could feel in control as though she was navigating and predicting the outcome. She loved food shopping working from a list and gradually could bear surprises and extras even if they were not on the list. I'm sure she probably added them and amended the list as we went round.She started to plan Christmas about ten weeks in advance and compiled list after list of things that we had to have or it wouldn't be Christmas.These lists had to be strictly adhered to.
 The result of all this strategy and order was that it kind of flowed out into all aspects of life.There are set cupboards for things in the kitchen and each item has it's place. Utensils are hung in a certain order from the rail at the back of our range cooker. The one the kids find a hoot is how I can't just put canned goods in the cupboard, they have to be organized in rows with labels facing out. They like to go in the pantry and mess with them to "keep me on my toes". One that drove hubby RC mad for a while was how,when he helped peg out the laundry,I would have to go and repeg it the way I liked it. I have best china, christmas china and everyday china. The thought of using these at the wrong time used to fill me with dread. When my husband's late aunt used to stay with us at christmas she liked to help and dry the dishes. I would thank her, make her a cup of tea and when she was comfortable in the other room put the forks and spoons back in the order they should be in the drawer.
 You'll be glad to know that hubby RC doesn't have to live under this OCD dictatorship so much these days. Gradually over the last nearly eight years I have gradually relinquished most of these orders and rituals. Mealtimes are more flexible, once in a while we have takeaway. Although it was pointed out to me last night as I was dishing up roast potatoes(Thursdays)that it was Monday and I hadn't made a curry. I can stop the worry now that the whole week is up the creek because Thursday became Monday and Tuesday(pasta)might become Friday(pizza). You see no one minds anymore. I do still slip into set meals for set nights sometimes just out of habit,but most of the time it is the great unknown at mealtimes.
 There were times in the early days after we lost Sophie that it felt wrong to change things. But children have a wonderful way of lightening the situation. When I had relaxed a routine or changed round furniture they would laugh and say"Sophie's not going to like that". When her picture in the kitchen kept coming off the wall (no broken cord or hook), it would be "See told you so".It's strange how sometimes we strive to keep everything as it was when somebody dies,as though they are going to return and need it just the way it was. So much has changed in our household over the last eight years,I sometimes feel guilty that she would not recognize or feel at home in this house. I have had terrible guilt dreams where she returns, mising not dead and is confused and hurt,at how we have moved on without her.But life does move on and our other children need to see this, there has to be living after death.
 The hardest thing to change was Christmas. The lists(I still have them),were so precise that the only way to get through those first few Christmas's was to not have Christmas in any recognizable form. We let chaos rule.There was no set Christmas dinner. You could eat whatever you want as long as one of those things were sensible and you weren't sick.If you wanted a certain meal then mum or dad would prepare it at your whim.You could slob in PJ's all day. No special Christmas clothes. You could stay up as late as you want.The kids loved it. We loved it. Gradually we have been drawn back to a more traditional Christmas, but it did take about five years.My daughter Cicely's days of ferrero rocher for Christmas dinner came to a close,she likes them for breakfast now.

16 comments:

  1. I entered RC's blog world about a year ago, and although I've learned bits and pieces of your life, I've never known the whole story. I have SO enjoyed reading these blog posts. As I read, I'm touched by how caring and giving and compassionate you both are. I've always known RC adores you... it's obvious in his writings... and now I know why.
    I can't imagine losing a child and then have to continue living. It must have been incredibly difficult, and I find your strength to be very inspirational.
    Thank you for sharing your stories. And if it makes you feel better, I have a little OCD myself. And it DOES drive my hubby crazy. In fact, it drives ME a little crazy too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been so good to share my thoughts with others especially people who already knew and cared for RC. I am finding this better than any therapy I could have had.So much has happened in our life together we have often wondered if we were jinxed. Losing friends after Sophie died,then my parents left me with no where to go to talk out what I had been through.When RC suggested starting a blog, I didn't really get the concept,so he told me to read his and others.Although we talk about Sophie all the time,I could see that his blog gave him somewhere he could talk about her love of Christmas and share her with others.It is good to think that I will be able to blog about her in the future and let people love her little quirks and amazing frankness. There are so many lovely memories I have of her locked up inside me.RC is adored back and he knows it. He has an adorable smugness about how much I love him.

      Delete
  2. You write so honestly. You describe your life experiences in such a manner that I want to learn more! And by wanting more, I'm not being a nosey parker, I'm just completely fascinated that you can lay your personal feelings out in such an open way.
    I think we all have a little bit of OCD, yours was come by honestly with a dear daughter that needed more routine than most.
    And I love the names you have given your daughters, Sophie and Cicely! Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This blogging experience has been very therapeutic for me. I feel that lots of pent up feelings just tumble out as I sit here. I think my lap top has become a psychiatrist's couch. I have a great feeling of getting it off my chest and being able to "talk" about Sophie with other people is wonderful.There will be plenty more. I think I will be "in therapy" for some time.

      Delete
  3. Loved that post, but the routine lives on - today was a pasta day, just like the old days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've come to know Sophie through RC's eyes over the years. Now I can see her through your eyes. I'm so sorry for the loss of your beautiful daughter. Working through the grief is unimaginable to me, but your family seems to have done so with grace and a bit of humor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrying on after losing Sophie was the toughest ordeal we ever had to face. I remember being unable to sleep that first night. We had made a giant bed on the floor of the sitting room and all cuddled up together to be close to our other children. I went out and sat in the garden. At 5.10 a.m. I realised that my Sophie had been dead 1 whole day already. We were still here.That was the strangest day.My sister came and I asked her to take us to the zoo that Sophie had liked. We talked about her, what animals she liked,the gift shop she loved and I knew that we had to show the children that even though some of these things would make us sad there were hundreds of funny things that we would remember that would make us laugh.From that day on she was always talked about. I wanted the real Sophie remembered. How scary she was when she was angry,how Ira was always her favourite,she wouldn't let them share her PS games,coca cola made her crazy and the way her voice got louder the more excited she became.The way she thought that I could feel her pain and know her thoughts because we were so close.I think she is so much part of everything we do that the chldren feel she never totally left.

      Delete
    2. She was lucky to have you and RC for parents. Knowing all you have gone through, and how well you have coped is so inspirational. I'll tell you again how thankful I am that you're sharing your stories. Very touching!

      Delete
    3. I think she made us better parents for our other children.Her difficulties stretched our parenting skills and challenged us every day.Every child wants to feel totally loved,supported and listened to. She taught us how to do that.

      Delete
  5. Oh God, now I'm sobbing. My Sophie is Sweet Sam, and God help me, I often resent him hugely for the enormous disruption he unwittingly inflicts upon our entire family (we also have four kids). Sometimes I wish he weren't there - how horrible is that? I don't mean it. I never really mean it. I hope I never show that to him, I don't think I do, I just sometimes get so - argh, exhausted trying to make everything work. But it mostly does. I cannot imagine the horror you lived (are living) through. I do know you are an amazing woman, because your hubby has only ever written lovingly and with huge admiration of you (smile). I am so pleased to make your acquaintance, dear lady - I hope it's not too forward of me to be reaching out to give you a heartfelt hug?

    BTW, all those routines and schedules you described are such a familiar territory here - and after reading this post, I thank God for them. Thank you for reminding me of the blessings we have. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The resentment is a familiar feeling I remember. I think it's because it is so bloody hard, especially when you have other children who also need you.Who sometimes have to take second place to this child,who demands constant attention, has no empathy for the feelings they trample and drives you half crazy because they will never be able to understand that they are part of a family and not the centre around which we all revolve.My Sophie caused huge disruptions in our life that were hard to live with.She quite frankly told me one day that I would have to get our younger daughter put up for adoption as she couldn't like her. She was deadly serious, was unable to understand why this would upset me,she thought I felt her feelings and she wasn't upset at all. This was a hard time for me and she was angry for a long time that I would not do what she wanted.Sometimes you just get pushed so far, the wishing they weren't there is not you wanting it, it's your self preservation kicking in trying to give you options to save you from the madness it worries is inevitable if you carry on stressed to the limit.The emotional roller coaster that you live from day to day pushes you to the limit but you are compelled on by their need for you and sometimes only you.
      A while ago a well meaning religious friend of mine told me that,in the afterlife when I was reunited with Sophie, she wouldn't have any of her disabilities and problems.I was absolutly furious with her. How dare she."That's the last thing I would want."I told her. She was confused and asked me why."Because she wouldn't be Sophie."
      I am pleased to meet you,it's so nice to hear from someone who is living what we lived.I miss it so much.

      Delete
  6. I am so glad I popped back in - crikey, yes, yes, yes, you've summed it up beautifully, that is PRECISELY how it is, and of course you "get it", so few would (at least I suspect, since I tend not to even try to describe the conflicting emotions that often dance in my head). I do believe our other children have - through having to almost always step down to Sam's needs - been molded into far more empathetic, less selfish individuals than a good many teenager's are. I suspect you find the same, too? I've never understood all this "anxt" parents find once their kids hit puberty - it seems to have mostly passed our family by (or maybe we've grown so used to constantly putting out the fires, anything less is a breeze?). Mind, I type this with crossed fingers, since I'm usually always waiting for the other shoe to drop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you're right about the other children. We have three teenagers who are caring and considerate and not demanding at all. People can't believe how easy going they are.One of the loveliest things about them is their ability to recognize and immediately empathize with kids with special needs.They understand that these kids are defined by their condition.My eldest son has a best friend who reminds me so much of Sophie in his excited speech and obsessive interests. He cannot travel to London alone,so my son goes with him, but they go as best mates.He loves Japanese comic culture to an extreme and they go to shows where he even dresses up. People ask my son if it embarasses him. He shrugs and says,"Oh that's just Rob being Rob".My daughter also has a friend who she championed all through high school to be accepted by "the group". She now goes to the same college as my daughter. I asked her if she saw much of her now. But Kira is very popular in her own group, so they only get to say hi. My daughter is so proud of how confident Kira has become and loves seeing her surrounded by her new friends.Having Sophie taught them to look at the person first,accept quirks as part of that person and to love them for the whole person that makes them.To always challenge the ignorance of people who have not had the privelege of growing up with a sibling with special needs.

      Delete
  7. I came across RC's blog through Terri and have been following him for years. I have known bits and pieces of Sophie's story but never had the courage to ask (didn't feel right to pry). Thank you for sharing her with us. I think your entire story is, like Sophie, beautiful. I can sense the overwhelming love you had for her and she had for you. You guys were tremendous parents and role models to her and the rest of your kids. To lose a child is unimaginable to me and I am amazed how your family got through a very difficult time with your sanity and a sense of humor. Everybody has a little bit of OCD in them. Nothing's wrong with - it is just the way we were wired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sophie was our first child and as we had no other children to compare her to,apart from friends children, she was just Sophie.We were so close that she thought we were the same, one unit.When she died a hole opened up in my chest, it hurt to breathe, function. But my children and RC needed me so I switched to autopilot and somewhere along the way I realised I was back in the driver's seat and had caught up to myself. Time does not heal and the pain does not go away when you lose a child.After a while you have to accept this and live along side of it or you will go mad.The hole in my chest is still there and I expect it to be. This is the real part of her I get to keep,the pain.The emptiness in that hole is the part I can never have back.

      Delete