Thursday 21 February 2013

Dirty Dogs

I have many things that irk me, and I admit to being slightly OCD about some things. One of these is doggy smells and muddy paws. Our dogs have a large collection of their own towels and bedding. These are laundered two or three times a week, much to the chagrin of Custard our lab, who feels I whip away his bedding with malice, as soon as he has got it, to smell just right. He is the fussiest about his bed. He will sometimes rake out his covers and then just sit there, blocking the hallway, waiting for someone to notice his plight and come and refold his quilt, refluff his pillow. Then he is happy, and will plop back into bed. He is compliant when he is groomed and loves a rub down when it rains, before being let into the house. And then there is Frou Frou.

 

Today Frou was in the sitting room having a really good scratch, until she caught my eye. Paused mid scratch, her foot raised, and an,"I know what's coming next, and I want no part of it" look came into her eye.Like a shot, she was gone and heading for the stairs. I could almost hear her shouting, "Sanctuary, sanctuary, open the gate", as she made for the one safe place in the house. My daughter's room. But alas, there is a Judas in our midst and she was delivered to Mum, dejected, to face the flea comb and brush alone.
  I'm happy to say that Frou was harbouring no friends amongst her tangles, but did give up a couple of seeds,small wood shavings and some rather nasty crusted dog food round her chin. Looking sleek, glossy and with a perfect parting down her back in true yorkie tradition, Mum was proud of little Frou, who had survived the ordeal remarkably unscathed. Then the phone rang, hubby RC, for a lunchtime chat. Sensing mum's grip had relaxed, Frou sprang like a gazelle and landed like a wart hog to rub her face all over the rug and along the sofa. With a quick shake to restore the "dragged through a hedge backwards look", that she is rocking this winter, Frou gave me a look of utter contempt. Then she strode off to stare at my daughter, to see if there was any betrayal guilt there that she could milk for a treat.

12 comments:

  1. Isn't it wonderful that we can read our pets' minds just by the way they look. Yours seems to have such great personalities! And I bet Frou Frou won't scratch in front of you anymore.
    And by the way, I'm in agreement with you on the doggy hair and smell. Luckily I only have one dog to worry about - but sometimes she can really stink the place up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hate it when it rains and no matter how hard you dry them they still have that musty wet dog smell.

      Delete
  2. It is a cruel twist of fate that a dog that hates being brushed should have so much fur...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dogs definitely add some twists into life. I emphasize with your tangle problems. With my two Goldens, they seem to attract all sorts of leaves, twigs, goat heads, and assorted trash from just walking around the block. And when they get wet, it is like trying to dry a very large, smelly sponge. I occasionally ponder shaving them down but that would get me ostracized from the Rescue group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We often call Custard Sponge Bob as he seems to absorb the rain and you don't just have to rub him dry but squeeze too.

      Delete
  4. Welcome to blogland! As you found reading my blog "My Happy Place" we're not all scary --- in fact there are many of us who are an absolute hoot!
    I'm glad you found my blog & it helped ease your mind - I hope you stop by often!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The older I get, the harder it is to bathe my Maltese in the tub. I can't even pick him up and must depend on husband to do the lifting. What I wouldn't give for one of those "garage sinks" that stand tall on four legs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard work when we have to bath custard. He weighs about 85 pounds,so it is a joint effort to heave him into the bath and then he gets over exited..So one has to hold him while the other does the shampoo and rinse. I'd love a hoist

      Delete
  6. One of our dogs will come in from the rain or snow and rub herself against the furniture to dry off. She doesn't seem to mind being toweled off, but always seems to need to rub on the furniture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When Frou is bathed she goes round the house rubbing herself on the furniture.

      Delete