Tuesday 29 October 2013

Changes,Health Freaks and Arm Wrestling.

It's nearly 5 O'clock in the early evening and already quite dark. The dogs are snoozing after their afternoon walk, whilst they wait for their tea. I found myself with a few minutes to spare, something that doesn't seem to happen lately and thought I would grab a chance to write a quick blog. After one of the best summers that we have had for a long time(relaxation, holidays and time with kids not the weather) we are fast approaching winter. Christmas is not long away and trying to think what form it should take this year is preoccupying my mind lately. We are quite unconventional when it comes to Christmas, only a few traditions are observed, such as the tree and lights. I must admit I do not think I would miss it if it was cancelled but hubby definitely would. The kids are quite indifferent to it too. Cicely is probably the only one who will celebrate it when she moves out.
  This summer has seen transformations to our kids. Eldest son suddenly decided to have his hair cut short only a few days after he had been telling me he probably would not cut it for years because " it was part of his identity". Youngest son has lost weight and gone from being in front of a computer all day to running and going to the gym. I think he has started to notice girls. Our daughter after years of diets and frustration and hating exercise is 45lbs lighter, working out every day and seems quite happy for a teenage girl. Unfortunately this means that there is no chance of sweets, cakes and anything naughty for hubby. He has become used to brown rice but he has held on to his butter and a private stash of crisps. Every fat gram and protein gram is analysed and counted. Punch bags, exercise equipment and weights have taken over the house. I have dropped 25lbs so far and am cycling again. God knows how long the other 30lbs will take but I am slogging on under duress not really enjoying it but feeling compelled through guilt living in a house of health freaks. Who would have thought that this could happen in our house? Hubby is still free to eat whatever he likes and keeps sweet things at work. He is in great shape so does not have the same guilt as I do.
   After doing weights all summer, deadlifting 100 kilos and more, my son decided to challenge me to an arm wrestle. Back in the day I was quite muscular and could usually beat your average man or woman from years of farm work growing up. Thinking I was now old and feeble my son sat down oozing confidence, I guess building sheds, fences and digging over the years has kept me quite strong. I don't know who was more surprised when I beat him. He was quite put out and has challenged me to a retry at Christmas now he has worked out which muscles I must have that are more developed than his that allowed him to be taken out by his mum. He says he will work on these muscles and I will not stand a chance. I haven't laughed so much for ages. I am in two minds whether or not to put in some serious secret training form now until Christmas to make it really hard for him. Cruel I know but I am quite competitive.
   Well it is time to cook the brown rice and beans to go with the low fat chicken and salad. Until next time. Mrs. R.C.

6 comments:

  1. So glad to hear that you had such a great summer. As the kids grow older, it seems like it gets harder and harder to find time all together to really relax and enjoy each other.

    I think it's great that you and RC are being so supportive of all the health activities going on in the house. It can be a real challenge to stick with those kinds of habits, especially if no one else seems to buy into it. You're helping your kids by encouraging and supporting them along the way, not to mention giving them challenges to work towards (such as improved arm muscles!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dedication to their respective health regimes took me a bit by surprise. Cicely has always shunned exercise but has dieted with my help. It usually fizzles out in the summer when she stops losing the pounds and can't face the prospect of working out. I can't say what motivated her this year but it is lovely to see her slim and not worry about her weight. It is so hard with teenage girls. Ira is very aware of his self image ever since he had his hair cut a couple of months ago. He has done a lot of research on how to weight lift properly. His uncle goes to the same gym and reports back to us that he is very safe and responsible with his use of the equipment. They are both very confident kids now and a lot happier. I love it when they find a good hobby or interest and usually we do everything we can to support them but this has definitely lasted longer than usual.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on the arm wrestle winning! I'm going to have to go challenge my little bro now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure there are a lot of women out there who do not realise how strong they are. All the work around the house we do constantly lifting and stretching, not to mention carrying children around and shopping. Although I'm sure that half of my arm muscles came from years of beating cake mixtures by hand( my nan would turn in her grave if I ever used an electric mixer).

      Delete
  3. You've had an awesome summer! Don't you love seeing your kids happy and confident? (Well, except for when you won the arm wrestling match. Good for you!)
    And congrats on losing some weight yourself! It's such a difficult thing to do, but it seems like everyone's giving each other support. That makes it easier!
    Our Christmas will be different this year since my hubby's parents are no longer with us. We're excited to try out some new traditions though. Unconventional traditions.
    Anyway, glad you took advantage of your free time to blog! It's great to hear from you again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our lives have definitely changed in the last year. I can almost see a time when I wont be running around after the kids. I do have less jobs to do since FIL passed away but somehow have very little time. Other things I did not have time for seem to take over. I think I now have time to do more gardening and jobs around the house that were left before. Today has been busy again baking all morning for Halloween, taking Cicely to the orthodontist on the train and now as R.C. is out at a friends I am giving out cakes and sweets to our trick or treaters. Maybe there will be time to blog tomorrow.

      Delete